Job reference number 196991
Cloud Data Solutions Architect
Royal Mail Farringdon
Cloud Data Solutions Architect
The Royal Mail Technology team is passionate about delivering high-quality products and outstanding digital experiences to our customers. Cutting edge technology is fundamental and key in helping us achieve our objective to be recognised as the best delivery company in both the UK and across Europe.
Our award-winning Technology team is at the heart of delivering a transformational journey at Royal Mail. The traditional letters business is declining, but our recent performance and the growth in parcels demonstrates that there is an opportunity for Royal Mail that we can capture, but we need to move quickly. By joining Royal Mail you will be helping to implement meaningful change, pushing forward with our transformation to become a more agile and even more customer focused business, while delivering more innovation, products and services for our customers. You will be working for a brand that’s a household name and a critical part of the UK’s infrastructure.
• Ensuring that the solutions being designed and developed provide a consensus-based solution that is scalable, adaptable and in synchronisation with changing business needs.
• Taking responsibility for outlining the solution architecture and governing its implementation through delivery.
• Ensure solution designs and implementations are aligned to the overall Royal Mail Architecture.
• Making efficient and effective use of technology; matching current and foreseeable requirements
• Review and govern designs from our partners and suppliers to ensure adherence to Royal Mail standards and best practices.
In this role you will:
• Develop the project blueprint received from Transformation/Enterprise Architects into solution designs as business needs are clarified, escalating and agreeing deviation from blueprint.
• Prepare the solution architecture design; ensuring adherence to requirements, design principles and target vision for the overall solution.
• Develop technology specifications and leverage existing technologies to ensure new technology solutions are designed for optimal business use.
• Apply architectural and engineering concepts to design solutions that meet business requirements, considering scalability, maintainability, security, reliability, flexibility, availability and manageability.
• Ensure process, application, data and technology architecture are aligned.
• Identify the technologies to employ, taking responsibility for the assurance and governance of supplier solutions.
• Partner with Business Analysts to provide technical oversight to ensure IT solutions meet end user needs.
• Collaborate with development teams, designing and building the solution in iterative sprint cycles.
• Educate stakeholders in Agile adoption, showcasing the benefits of iterative software delivery.
Qualifications and experience required:
• Considerable experience in a data product design
• Practical hands on experience of data platform implementation
• Experience of managing a team of Data Architects would be advantageous
• Experience of having worked in complex outsourced multi-supplier environments and the understanding of how to architect and assure solutions in these situations
• A broad understanding of a variety of technologies, with in depth experience in data architecture areas and technologies:
- Data Warehousing and BI: Experience of data warehousing components, including ETL, data quality, dimensional models and reporting
- Data Modelling: Experience with the design and implementation of relational and dimensional data models, Data Vault
- Data Analytics: Experience of intelligent, data driven solutions with embedded analytics
- Data Governance: Experience in data governance and data stewardship best practices
- Storage and Data Management: Teradata or equivalent MPP, “big data” technologies, such as Hadoop, Spark
- ETL: preferably IBM DataStage, or equivalent Informatica, Ab initio, SSIS
- Reporting/Visualisation Tools and Software: QlikView, Business Objects, Tableau
- Data modelling tools, e.g. SPARX Enterprise Architect, Power Designer, CA Erwin
- Data in the cloud: Google BigQuery, GKE, Cloud Storage, PubSub, VPC, Auto ML, Data Proc, Data Flow, AirFlow
- RDM and MDM
- CI/CD and DevOps (Jenkins, Terraform, Git)
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values and we’re proud to be recognised in The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2019 for a 6th consecutive year. We welcome applications from individuals from diverse backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
We are happy to support flexible working and would welcome having a conversation with you about how we could support your needs.