1 day ago
· Day to day husbandry routines for various different species which will include Raccoons, Lynx, Lemurs, Capybara, Arctic Fox, Scottish Wildcats, Meerkats, Porcupines, Otters and Snow Leopards.
· Providing enrichment opportunities for various species on a daily basis.
· Decorating and maintaining exhibits.
· Strict adherence to risk assessments, bio security and safe working practices.
· Taking ownership for the presentation of the zoo by maintaining high standards.
· In this role, you will be reporting to the Team Leader of your animal keeping section.
Due to expansion and ambitious future plans, we have an exciting opportunity for a likeminded team-player who will fit in with our current animal care team who will be based on the Carnivore & Small Mammal Section.
The animal keeper will be required to work in a team environment ensuring that day-to-day husbandry is carried out in an effective and timely manner using the current standard operating procedures., · Have at least 2 years of professional zoo work experience working with carnivores and small mammals in a zoo environment.
· Have high animal welfare standards with regards to the care and daily husbandry routines.
· Be qualified in an appropriate captive wild animal husbandry, biological or conservation discipline.
· Have great observational skills when working with the animals in the park, understanding animal behaviour.
· Have the ability to keep accurate records relating to animal welfare.
· Full driver's license and access to vehicle required due to rural setting of zoo.
It is also essential that candidates are able to demonstrate the following personal competencies:
· Have great communication skills for working within a team.
· Be able to work effectively and with minimum supervision within a timely manner.
· Have strong interpersonal skills and be confident to interact with the public.
· Be physically fit as this role includes a lot of walking, bending and lifting various weights.
· Experience with various types of animal enrichment.
North East Closing date for applications is: 9th Apr 2021 Contact: Maxine Bradley ([email protected])
Northumberland Country Zoo is an up-and-coming family run zoo in the heart of Northumberland which is constantly expanding year after year with over 100 species. We are provisional members of BIAZA with high standards in all aspects of the collection including husbandry and conservation. We have various species from Snow Leopards, Raccoons & Capybara to Reptiles, Parrots & Raptors all currently based on 20 acres.