Senior Software Engineer Inside IR35
Contract Term: 12 months
Contracting Authority: The Department for Work and Pensions
Location: Hybrid - Newcastle
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is responsible for welfare, pensions and child maintenance policy. As the UK's biggest public service department, it administers the State Pension and a range of working age, disability and ill health benefits to around 20 million claimants and customers. As such, we operate on a scale that is almost unmatched anywhere in Europe and most people in Britain come into contact with us at some point in their lives.
Working with DWP, you will be helping us to drive our priorities to:
- Run an effective welfare system that enables people to achieve financial independence by providing assistance and guidance into employment
- Increase saving for, and security in later life
- Create a fair and affordable welfare system which improves the life chances of children
- Deliver outstanding services to our customers and claimants
- Deliver efficiently: transform the way we deliver our services to reduce costs and increase productivity
As a Senior Software Engineer, your main responsibilities would be:
- Make sure we follow best practice and will guide our teams on how to deliver quality software products.
- Work as part of multidisciplinary teams, in collaboration with architects and engineers, to design software products that make up services used by millions of people.
- Focus on operational stability, robustness, resilience, availability and quality, and be accountable for the code you and your teams produce.
You'll have relevant experience in:
- Developing on cloud based environments like AWS and Azure.
- An understanding of TDD and BDD.
- SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB.
- The skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures.
"In applying for this role you acknowledge the following; this role falls in scope of the Off Payroll Working in the Public Sector legislation. Any rates of payment quoted will reflect the gross rate per day for the assignment, and will be subject to appropriate taxes and statutory costs. As such the payment to the intermediary and your income resulting from this contract will be different."
Please be aware that this role can only be worked within the UK and not Overseas.