Principle Network Specialist Inside IR35
Contract Term: 3-6 months
Contracting Authority: Cabinet Office
Location: Hybrid - London - 2 days per week in office
The Cabinet Office supports the Prime Minister and ensures the effective running of government. The Cabinet Office is also the corporate headquarters for the government, in partnership with HM Treasury, and takes the lead in certain critical policy areas. More information about the Cabinet Office can be found on its website at https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/cabinet-office.
As a Principle Network Specialist, your main responsibilities would be:
- Work with the Principal Infrastructure Engineer and Lead Infrastructure Engineers in the day to day management of the Cabinet Office wireless LAN, WAN, including the network devices and security devices that are deployed.
- Design and implementation of new services as and when required by the Cabinet Office.
- Provide second/third line support and problem solving for the Cabinet Office internal network.
- Work within the Cabinet Office Network Operations team on the physical and technical implementation of network services using key skills to enhance networking and security elements that will be deployed at Cabinet Office.
- Develop process and procedures for other engineers to ensure a secure and robust environment for cabinet office users with KPIs in place is maintain this level
- Develop automation for patching and configuration of; Switches, Firewalls, WLAN infrastructure
- work with cloud technologies on the migration of existing systems and implementing new solutions
- Be prepared to work out of normal office hours to implement change, when necessary, including weekend and evening work, including being on call
- Maintain integrity, availability, performance and capacity management of the networking infrastructure.
- Manage escalated Incidents and Problems from the Live Service through to resolution
- Carry out change control activities within the networking infrastructure, working with change managers to enhance the change process.
- Document and configure management of networking infrastructure.
- Work within technical compliance management to co-operate with technologies, such as PSN and Cloud computing etc.
- Develop and possibly carry out security testing techniques for network infrastructure.
You'll have relevant experience in:
- An active SC Clearance is required for this role.
- Proven expert knowledge and experience in LAN and Wireless LAN networking design, preferably with equipment from a range of different product vendors
- Proven expert knowledge and experience in WAN networking using BGP, OSPF.
- Proven extensive experience and hands-on experience of the design and implementation of Wireless and Wired networks
- Proven expert experience and hands-on experience of the design and implementation of security devices such as VPN Gateways and clients, Firewalls and Unified Threat Management Devices.
- Demonstrable experience of using infrastructure as code to setup and configure networking devices.
- Proven expert knowledge of networking concepts and technologies and proven experience of network implementation and operation.
- Strong demonstrable proven problem solving and analytical skills in a fast paced, multidisciplinary digital/technology environment.
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings as required
- Demonstrable experience in the delivery of secure enterprise networking and the secure configuration of LANs, WLANs and WANs.
- Experience of change management processes
- Professional skills including excellent customer relationship and stakeholder management skills, with the ability to engage with senior management, technical architects and solution providers
- Juniper, Palo Alto, Cisco and Fortinet Firewalls, Routing and Switching.
- Cisco and Extreme wireless LAN.
- Cyber security awareness and understanding.
- Strong knowledge of encryption solutions such as PKI and IPSec.
- Strong understanding of encryption protocols and cipher suites.
"In applying for this role you acknowledge the following; this role falls in scope of the Off Payroll Working in the Public Sector legislation. Any rates of payment quoted will reflect the gross rate per day for the assignment, and will be subject to appropriate taxes and statutory costs. As such the payment to the intermediary and your income resulting from this contract will be different."
Please be aware that this role can only be worked within the UK and not Overseas.