Microsoft Systems Technical Specialist
The CODAS & IT Department is responsible for the design, implementation, testing, operation, and maintenance of the UKAEA's site-wide IT infrastructure and systems.
As the Microsoft Systems Technical Specialist, you will be responsible for the implementation and support of Microsoft Windows based systems that form part of the wider IT infrastructure.
You will implement and support a wide range of Microsoft technologies based on Windows Server, including Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft SQL Server adhering to Microsoft and industry best practices and standards.
You will provide third line support for Microsoft Windows systems, including physical servers hosted on-premises, cloud services hosted in Microsoft Azure, and Microsoft Office 365 services including Exchange Online.
You will ensure Microsoft Windows services are secure by ensuring Windows Updates are kept up to date and backups are monitored.
With good customer service skills, and excellent knowledge of Microsoft Windows servers and Office 365 services, this role is essential to the Microsoft Systems team in providing excellent technical support.
* Manage and support the Microsoft Windows infrastructure, including the deployment and configuration of services on on-premises physical server hardware and cloud services in Microsoft Azure.
* Installing, configuring, testing, and maintaining operating systems, application software and system management tools.
* Manage the day-today monitoring and maintenance of UKAEA's server infrastructure (both production and development).
* Assist in managing regular backup operations and verifying their completion, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate locations.
* To respond to service incidents within the times specified in any Service Level Agreement (SLA) in the ITSM system.
* Work closely with other teams, including the IT Service Desk, to resolve issues related to Microsoft Services.
* Create, update, and check the validity and accuracy of documentation and procedures used within the team and by the end users
Rullion Engineering Ltd
Printed / emailed copies are considered to be uncontrolled
The following qualifications or equivalent experience:
* Excellent IT skills, preferably with Microsoft certification such as:
o Microsoft 365 Fundamentals (MS-900)
o Microsoft Azure Fundamentals (AZ-900)
o Microsoft Azure Administrator (AZ-104)
* Experience Required:
* Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating systems and applications, including Hyper-V and Microsoft Azure.
* Experience with some of the following software:
o Windows 7 and Windows 10
o Windows Server 2012 R2, 2016, 2019
o Active Directory
o Microsoft Azure
o Microsoft Exchange
o Microsoft SQL Server
o Office 365, including SharePoint and Teams
o Endpoint Manager
* A working knowledge of network technologies (DHCP, DNS)
* Experience of IT Service Management, preferably ITIL accredited (or equivalent experience).
* The ability to work effectively with others at all levels in the organisation.
* A methodical and structured approach to project work.
* Excellent written and spoken communication skills.
* Excellent time management skills with the ability to effectively plan and prioritise work to meet realistic deadlines.
* Excellent problem-solving skills.
The candidate must show good organisational skills, be self-motivated, and show initiative to explore new solutions.
* Desirable Experience
* Experience of monitoring systems (e.g. Sentinel, Zabbix).
* Experience of Microsoft SharePoint Online.
* A working knowledge of PowerShell and other scripting languages.
Rullion celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.