Java Developer - Inside IR35
Contract Term: 12 Months
Contracting Authority: DWP
Location: Hybrid/Remote - Leeds
We are looking for an outstanding Java Developer, who can make a positive impact, and wants to contribute to the most demanding and exciting new digital service for the UK Government. Let's be clear about the impact of your work - better digital services in government will change the face of public services and have the potential to transform the future of millions of people dramatically and positively.
We are looking for outstanding skills and you must be ready to quickly get to work within an Agile, multidisciplinary team of Developers, Designers, and Analysts focused on the Department for Work and Pensions' flagship welfare reform programme.
Day-to-day they will be an integral part of that team in designing, creating and improving new and existing products, platforms and transactions across government.
As a Java Developer you'll have:
- Recent experience with Java 11 (or later).
- Excellent understanding of TDD and BDD.
- Experience with large microservice architectures.
- Experience of working in an Agile environment.
- Be willing to work in a pair programming environment.
- Have experience in implementing APIs for internal and external use.
- Have the skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.
- Be involved in the wider web development community, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences.
- Be knowledgeable of tools and techniques used within the wider team.
- Take part in 2nd-line support of applications and platforms, including occasional support outside of office hours.
- Have an ability to communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
- Have working knowledge of Unix-like operating systems such as Linux and/or Mac OS X.
- The ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques.
It would also be desirable to have:
- Working knowledge of Jackson, JAX-RS, mocking frameworks such as Mockito, and messaging platforms such as ActiveMQ or Kafka.
- Experience of MongoDB or other document databases.
- Experience of building and scaling high-traffic websites.
- Experience of handling large data sets and scaling their handling and storage.
In applying for this role, you acknowledge the following: this role falls in scope of the Off Payroll Working in the Public Sector legislation. Any rates of payment quoted will reflect the gross rate per day for the assignment and will be subject to appropriate taxes and statutory costs. As such the payment to the intermediary and your income resulting from this contract will be different.
Please be aware that this role can only be worked within the UK and not Overseas.